From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Richard V Huber
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 1:25 PM
To: capple@dsi-consulting.net; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org;
lbartz@parnelli.indy.cr.irs.gov
Subject: RE: Attribute Name Length Bounds

In line with Larry Bartz' email mentioning RFC3383, how about:

  To promote interoperability, server implementors SHOULD allow at
  least 48 characters for attribute names and schema designers SHOULD
  use attribute names which are no longer than 48 characters.

If we allow 48 character names to be registered, the standard ought to
support them.

I don't see much use for an upper bound.  People who are worried about
interoperability always have to live within the lower bound in any case.

Rick Huber

: From owner-ietf-ldapbis@openldap.org Fri Jun 13 11:53:42 2003