RE: Attribute Name Length Bounds

I could certainly raise it within an interoperability/certification
program like that which The Open Group has. But generally, the certification
tests follow the specs. So unless there's a requirement relating to this
issue in the specs, it is unlikely to be adopted as a certification
requirement.

I think the interoperability problem I encountered is caused by lack
of a requirement specifying a lower bound. Its basically a grey area
as the specs stand now.

My interpretation of the LDAPBIS charter is that this is the place where
grey areas are to be clarified in preparation for progressing LDAPv3
to Draft Standard. In reminding myself what Draft Standard means (RFC 2026,
Section 4.1.2), clarifying grey areas affecting interoperability would
seem to fit within the scope of the LDABBIS WG Charter.

The group may not agree with my position on this particular issue,
but this does appear to be the appropriate place to raise it.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:capple@dsi-consulting.net

http://www.dsi-consulting.com