From: Chris Harding [mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org]
Sent: Thursday, 5 June 2003 23:25
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Values of matchingRules Attribute

Hi -

We are beta testing The Open Group's VSLDAP test suite, and the following
question has been raised. Input from ldapbis experts would be much appreciated.

Must a server maintain values of the matchingRules attribute for standard
matching rules such as presence or equality?

RFC 2252 says:

>   5.1 Standard Operational Attributes
>    Servers MUST maintain values of these attributes in accordance with
>   the definitions in X.501(93)
>    5.1.8 matchingRules
>   This attribute is typically located in the subschema entry

It doesn't specify whether the attribute values must include values for
standard attributes. I took a look at X.501, and couldn't find a clear
statement there either. I would have assumed, unless it said otherwise,
that there would be values for the standard rules - but experience has
taught me that such assumptions are dangerous.

Please give me your views!

Regards,

Chris
+++++

            Dr. Christopher J. Harding
   T H E    Executive Director for the Directory Interoperability Forum
  O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org Phone: +44 118 902 3018
            WWW: http://www.opengroup.org Mobile: +44 774 063 1520

Boundaryless Information Flow - Grid Computing
Boston, MA, USA, July 21st - 25th
http://www.opengroup.org/boston2003

UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries