Re: Example in draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt

I don't think I responded to this... 'oct' is a little obscure, but your point is well taken. I view "binary" as a very general term, but it does carry some historical baggage from the LDAP point of view. Perhaps:

    (four-octet-attr=\00\00\00\04)

:)

-Mark

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
It's not really a good idea. Binary attributes should be encoded in
> ASN.1 and this one clearly isn't! What about using 'oct', say.

-----Original Message----- From: Mark C Smith [mailto:mcs@netscape.com] Sent: Friday, 23 May 2003 02:36 To: Vithalprasad Gaitonde Cc: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org Subject: Re: Example in draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt

Vithalprasad Gaitonde wrote:

Section 7 of this document gives an example of (int=\00\00\00\04) and
shows hot the LDAP URL representation for the same.
The use of "int" seems to indicate here that its an integer attribute
which is being talked about. Its unlikely that an integer syntax
attribute will encoded like this.
Though its not technically incorrect, for better readability sake,
would it be a good idea to choose some other attribute name than "int"
like bin (bin=\00\00\00\04) as in section 7 of
draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-04.txt.

OK, this is a good suggestion.