Re: Simple+TLS as mandatory-to-implement (RE: Issues with current authmeth draft.)

Kurt,

It is my opinion that RFC2829 intended to continue to use the LDAPDN as the primary authentication identity, including when using SASL DIGEST-MD5 mechanism. I believe I am not alone in this interpretation of RFC2829 and this view seems to be supported by text in the current [authmeth] draft.

It is clear that you disagree with my view and that current development of the SASL specifications will move the SASL specifications in a direction which would not support my interpretation of RFC2829.

Both sides of the argument have been expressed in detail and there is no point in continuing the discussion.

My original concern that the [authmeth] draft does not sufficiently address the issue of authentication identity seems to have been adequately demonstrated.

With regards to an alternative mandatory-to-implement authentication mechanism which is more secure than using cleartext passwords, I would like to see one which allows for distinguished names as one form of the authentication identity, but would be reluctant to support mandatory implementation of startTLS extended operation to achieve this if it can be avoided.

- Mark.