RE: Issues with current authmeth draft.

I don't like messages that say "hear, hear", but I fell compelled to say hear, hear! There is also no credence given to the greater effort required to run TLS operationally. Digest-MD5 was suggested as a replacement for CRAM-MD5 not, as I believe, because it had very little connection with directories, but because it was argued to be superior. The aim, though, was a password mechanism that did not present the password in the clear.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Ennis [mailto:mark.ennis@adacel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 May 2003 10:08
To: Kurt D. Zeilenga
Cc: Ramsay, Ron; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Issues with current authmeth draft.

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> If the client knows instead a DN and password, then it should a
> mechanism intended for DN/password authentication (such as
> Simple bind over TLS).

 From an interoperability perspective this has problems as a server is
only required to implement DIGEST-MD5 and simple authentication, not
TLS. This theoretical client would then only be able to interwork with
servers which implement TLS or would be forced to use a less secure
authentication mechanism (simple bind without TLS). This seems counter
to the reasons in RFC2829 and [authmeth] for introducing SASL
mechanisms, in particular, SASL DIGEST-MD5.

- Mark.