Re: [AuthMeth] clarification on SASL DN AuthZ ID

Kurt,

To address your comments on this, in the -05 version I will replace this text:

"All servers that support the storage of authentication credentials, such as passwords or certificates, in the directory MUST support the dnAuthzId choice. The format for distinguishedName is defined in section 3 of [LDAPDN]."

With this:

"The dnAuthzId choice allows client applications to assert authorization identities in the form of a distinguished name. The decision to allow or disallow an authentication identity to have access to the requested authorization identity is based on implementation defined policy ([SASL] section 4.2). For this reason there is no requirement that the asserted dn be that of an entry in directory."

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Roger

At 12:52 PM 2002-11-12, Roger Harrison wrote:
>Section 4.4.1.1 of [AuthMeth] states:
>
>All servers that support the storage of authentication credentials, such as passwords or certificates, in the directory MUST support the dnAuthzId choice. The format for distinguishedName is defined in section 3 of [LDAPDN].
>
>I see two problems with this statement.

The problem I see is that this MUST is not necessary for
interoperability.

For authentication only, no authorization identity is needed. As
discussed on the ietf-sasl list, the authorization identity SHOULD
only be provided if the client wishes to assume the identity
different from that implied by the authentication credentials.
That is, specifying an authorization identity when not doing
proxy authorization causes interoperability problems and should
be avoid.

For proxy authorization, interoperability requires that the
user know the value and form authzId expected by the server.
Servers need only to support the value and forms they expect.
If anything, we should be stating that CLIENTs which support
Proxy Authorization SHOULD support both forms so that users
can specify either.

It's my personal opinion that paragraph should be deleted.

Kurt