Re: Add and Modify DN Operations in [Protocol]-12

At 11:05 AM 2/28/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>K, I changed add to "The parent of the object and alias entries to be
>added MUST exist.". Because there are a number of other DSE types that
>could be added without a parent.

I don't think any major clarification is really needed (but
maybe just a few tweaks).

>> 4.7. Add Operation
>>   The entry named in the entry field of the AddRequest MUST NOT exist
>
>>   for the AddRequest to succeed. The parent of the entry to be added
>
>>   MUST exist
>
>unless the entry being added is the initial vertex of a naming
>context.

No.  Even if the entry is the initial vertex of a naming context,
its parent (except where the naming context prefix has only one RDN)
should exist in the superior naming context.  However, in this case
where the server doesn't shadow the superior naming context, the
server processing the Add request should not be required to
ensure the parent actually does exist.  Likewise for Modify DN.

Kurt