Re: Models: Matching Rule Uses

At 04:58 AM 2/14/2003, David Chadwick wrote:
>I disagree. I think it is correct. For example, if you want to use
>typeless matching you can specify just the matching rule without the
>attribute type, and every AT that has that matching rule in its AT
>description will be matched against.

In an extensibleMatch search filter, if the type is absent and
the rule present, then the value is matched against all attribute
types which support that rule.   The set of attribute types may
include attribute types which have no defined EQUALITY rule,
attribute types which have a different EQUALITY rule, or attribute
types which have the same EQUALITY rule.

Suitability of rule for use against values of an attribute type
is NOT indicated in the specification of the attribute type
description for the type, but by specification of a matching rule
description for the rule.  This, I believe, is quite clear by
the language used in RFC 2251 and 2252.  In particular,

RFC 2252, 4.2, Attribute Types:
   Note that the AttributeTypeDescription does not list the matching
   rules which can can be used with that attribute type in an
   extensibleMatch search filter.  This is done using the
   matchingRuleUse attribute described in section 4.5.

RFC 2252, 4.5, Matching Rules:
   Values of the matchingRuleUse list the attributes which are
   suitable for use with an extensible matching rule.

Kurt