RE: Models: preservation of user information

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
> Surely no server which supports both LDAPv2 and LDAPv3 can
> come close to this?? The ASN.1 form you are talking about
> would presumably be the UTF-8 variant of directoryString
> which would have to be invented from the original LDAPv2 T.61?

Huh? If a value of an attribute with the Directory String syntax
is presented to our server in LDAPv2 as T.61 then we preserve it
in the teletexString alternative of the DirectoryString{} ASN.1 type.
It gets transferred to other DSAs in this same encoding.
If a value of an attribute with the Directory String syntax is
presented to our server in LDAPv3 then we have to choose an
alternative of the DirectoryString CHOICE, but having chosen,
the value always gets transferred to other DSAs as that alternative
and encoding. Thus we are preserving the abstract value in both
cases as far as ASN.1 is concerned. When a DirectoryString{} value
is encoded for an LDAP result we transliterate as required and the
LDAP user sees exactly the octets they put in.

Regards.
Steven