Re: Add values without equality matching rule

At 04:40 AM 1/11/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>[Protocol] 4.6 (Modify Operation) says:
>
>   If an EQUALITY matching rule has not been defined for an attribute
>   type, clients MUST NOT attempt to add or delete individual values of
>   that attribute from an entry using the "add" or "delete" form of a
>   modification, and MUST instead use the "replace" form.
>
>Why not?  What's the difference between adding values one at a time and
>all at once?  The server has to compare them in any case, to check that
>two equivalent values are not added.  If there is no equality matching
>rule, it compares the values octet by octet.  (See [Models] 2.3.)

I think there was odd wording in 2251 regarding what was
allowed/disallowed with multiple valued attributes which
have no EQUALITY rule and/or where the server doesn't implement
that EQUALITY rule.

[Models, 2.3] attempts to clarify the data model requirements.
Once we have consensus there (which the WG Last Call should
determine), I think [Protocol] should be aligned to [Models].

Kurt