Re: objectIdentifierMatch on ambiguous name

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>>  attribute type ( ... NAME 'oid'
>>                   EQUALITY objectIdentifierMatch
>>                   SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38 ) ; OID
>
> If this attribute is intended to hold OIDs referring to any
> kind of object, then short names cannot be used with it.  That
> is, the assertion (oid=foo) is Undefined.
>
> I note that if the attribute is intended to hold OIDs referring
> to a specific kind of object (e.g., attribute types, object
> classes, matching rules), the server needs also to be aware of
> this intent in order to map "foo" to the appropriate (numeric)
> OID.

That seems a bit strict to me.  I think the filter (oid=foo)
should match an oid attribute with value "foo", at least.

Otherwise, if the admin wants to define an attribute which holds
the names (descriptors) of attribute names, and the server doesn't
provide an extension which lets him tell it which OID namespace
the attribute uses, he must use Printable String syntax and
caseIgnoreMatch instead of OID syntax and objectIdentifierMatch.