Re: objectIdentifierMatch on ambiguous name

Beats me -- now that my brain is functioning a little better.  And I ought
to get this thread back to the mailing list.

An obvious instance of this type of filter is (objectclass=person).  And it
is fairly clear what a client would expect to the server to do in that
case: (objectclass=person) and (objectclass=2.5.6.6) ought to be
equivalent.  The existence of an attributetype also named person
(discouraged, but legal) should not affect this filter.  Two objectclasses
with the same name (within a given subschema) would be a problem, but I'd
be suprised if a server allowed it.

For any other attribute with objectIdentifierMatch, I, as a user, would be
suprised if the server did any <descr> to <numericoid> conversion.  Reading
the specs, I would expect a server to allow me to create an entry with
values like 1.2.3.4 or foo, and do something like a case insensitive match
(FOO = foo) but I wouldn't expect "foo" to match a numeric oid.  Given that
OIDs can be used for anything, it seems unreasonable to expect that there
would be a one-to-one <descr> to <numericoid> mapping outside of a given
application realm.

At best, any <descr> to <numericoid> mapping would be depend on the
attribute being used and would either be server defined, or be defined by
some other standard.  For example, a standard could define names for widget
types, where each widget type also has a registered OID.  Then, maybe, it
would make sense to expect (widgetType=foo) to match widgetType=6.6.6; but
it wouldn't make sense to expect (myOidAttr=foo) to match the value
myOidAttr=6.6.6.

Maybe [SYNTAXES] should try to clarify this.  Or maybe [SYNTAXES] should
remove reference to values assertions using <descr> form of OIDs in the
spirit of "liberal in what you accept, strict in what you send."

John  McMeeking

                      Hallvard B
                      Furuseth                 To:       John McMeeking/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
                      <h.b.furuseth@usi        cc:
                      t.uio.no>                Subject:  Re: objectIdentifierMatch on ambiguous name

                      01/02/2003 08:43
                      AM

John McMeeking writes:
> Going back to your example:
>
>   object class   ( ... NAME  'foo'        ... )
>   object class   ( ... NAME  'bar'        ... )
>   attribute type ( ... NAME ('foo' 'bar') ... )
>
> the filter (oid=foo) has nothing to do with these.  It only matches
entries
> that have an "oid" attribute with the value "foo".

I don't think so. [Syntaxes] 5.2.17 (objectIdentifierMatch) says:

   The rule evaluates to TRUE if and only if the assertion value and the
   attribute value represent the same object identifier, that is, the
   same sequence of integers, whether represented explicitly in the
   [MODELS]).

So as far as I can tell, objectIdentifierMatch should convert the name
'foo' to a sequence of integers and then try to match.