Re: Protocol Information Syntax

At 03:19 PM 12/9/2002, Kathy Dally wrote:
>RFCs 2252 and 2256 and I-Ds syntaxes and user-schema refer to X.520,
>where the ProtocolInformation production is specified.

X.520 defines the ProtocolInformation ASN.1 data type, but not
how to encode that data type in LDAP.  If the specification
of the LDAP-specific encoding form is absent from the existing
"core", we should avoid adding it to the revised "core".

>Another example
>of a syntax where the reader has to go to X.520 for the details is
>Directory String.

RFC 2252 provided a LDAP native string encoding for Directory
String and incorporated the ASN.1 by reference.  Nothing "new"
with Directory String.

>So, I think we are covered on the "adding new material" question.

The "new" in the ProtocolInformation case is addition of
LDAP native string encoding.

Kurt