From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:jimse@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, 22 November 2002 02:16
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Failed or Abandoned Bind operations

The current text in section 4.2.1 of the protocols document says:

"Authentication from earlier binds are subsequently ignored, and so if the
bind fails, the connection will be treated as anonymous."

This does not address the issue of an abandoned bind operation. I suggest
something like:

"Authentication from earlier binds are subsequently ignored. A failed or
abandoned Bind Operation has the effect of leaving the connection in an
anonymous state. Clients MUST rebind after abandoning a bind operation in
order to determine a known authentication state."

Does this adequately cover the issue? Does it inadvertently introduce
anything bad?

Jim