RE: ;binary migration solution

Ramsay, Ron writes:
> With userCertificate, it doesn't matter how you ask for it, there is only
> one encoding possible, the raw BER.

Yes, that's why I suggestet it should do nothing about encoding.

Though IIRC there were (are?) programs who thought ;binary meant the
value should be wrapped in an extra BER envelope, I don't remember which
type.

> The presence of ;binary on either
> request or response is purely cosmetic.

However, some clients expect attribute to be named "userCertificate" or
"userCertificate;binary" and does not recognize the other form.

BTW, yet another way would be to just define ;binary as a tagging option
which does nothing.  If the directory is used both by clients that want
"userCertificate;binary" and clients that want "userCertificate", the
maintainer will have to add both forms.