Re: Continuation reference to root DN

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>At 05:38 AM 2002-11-15, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>The protocol draft says:
>>> 4.5.3 "Continuation References in the Search Result" says:
>>>   The SearchResultReference is of the same data type as the Referral.
>>>   URLs for servers implementing the LDAP protocol are written according
>>>   to [LDAPDN]. The <dn> part MUST be present in the URL,
>>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> What if one wants to specify a search from basedn ""?
>
> Provide an present but empty <dn> part.

Well, maybe.  Since there is no difference between the two, I have
difficulty reading the sentence as something else than "the DN may MUST
NOT be empty."  How about replacing that sentence with:

  If the DN has length zero, it means the root DN "" and not a default
  DN.

This makes the contrast with 4.1.10. Referral clear.  There, an absent
DN means use the old DN.  (Which BTW means that referrals cannot refer
to the root DN.)