Re: short names (descriptors) proposal

Ramsay, Ron wrote:

I'm not too sure about the "MUST" or the phrasing. Could I suggest

The same name SHOULD NOT be used for different OIDs. However, implementors
should be aware that some third party schemas having the same name for an
attribute and an object class have been published.

"Have been published" does not imply that they are also used. But they *are* used!

One will run into serious problems with schema installed as default on some very recently released LDAP server implementation if the schema-aware application does not internally maintain a different name-OID-mapping for each schema element class. I guess it's also true for more schema elements than just attributes and an object classes.

Ciao, Michael.