From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Saturday, 5 October 2002 12:35 AM
To: michael@stroeder.com
Cc: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: controls

At 03:16 AM 2002-10-04, Michael Ströder wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>At 06:01 PM 2002-10-03, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>>>So I would prefer to see the position as "no control should rely on the
>>>actual order of other controls included in the same request."
>>We should avoid making statements which restricting LDAP
>>extensions. Such position statements are better left to
>>documents detailing "guidelines" for designers of LDAP
>>extensions.
>
>Kurt, can you give an example for a situation in which it's not possible to
place two data items in one control as suggested by Ron?

I'm not going to enter into a debate about which extension
design approach is "better".   As the "core" technical
specification cannot impose a design approach upon future
extensions, it doesn't matter which design approach is
considered to be "better".

Kurt