Re: Ordering of controls

David Chadwick wrote:
The suggestion to the group is that we add these concepts to the LDAPv3
documentation and then request that in subsequent revisions of LDAP
extension IDs and RFCs the authors state which phase of the operation
their control applies to. This would help authors and implementors to
determine which controls to apply in which order.

On the surface, that sounds like a reasonably good suggestion. My only concern would be whether the operation phase concept will overly restrict LDAP server implementors. I doubt all of the LDAP implementations that exist today break down operation processing into tidy phases. I am not an expert on X.518; are the phases conceptual or do they influence the server implementation greatly? Feedback from X.500 implementors would be useful.

--
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development