Re: FWD: ;binary a/b design teams' summary / recommendation review

Russ Housley forwarded the email below (announcing the
LDAPBIS group's intent to remove the ;binary option) to
the PKIX mailing list, suggesting follow-ups to this list.

Doesn't removing support for the ;binary option break
backward compatibility for LDAP clients that use the
;binary option to store and retrieve certificates and CRLs?

Since RFC 2256 required the use of ;binary to store and
retrieve certificates and CRLs, I would hope that you
would require servers to support older clients for backward
compatibility. In fact, newer clients will also need to use
the ;binary option when storing and retrieving certificates
and CRLs in case they are talking to an older server. I guess
you'd better document that, too.

Are you sure this is simplifying things for you?

Steve Hanna
Sun Microsystems, Inc.