Re: Abandon Modify

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

I'm proposing this for the last paragraph of 4.1.1.1 (Message ID)
A client MUST NOT send a request with the same message ID as an earlier
request on the same connection unless it can be determined that the
server is no longer servicing the earlier request. Otherwise the
behavior is undefined. For operations that do not return responses
(unbind, abandon, and abandoned operations), the client assumes the
operation is in progress until a subsequent bind request completes.

That looks OK to me.

I'm proposing this change/addition to 4.11 (Abandon Operation)
There is no response defined in the Abandon Operation. Upon
transmission of an Abandon Operation, a client may expect that the
operation identified by the Message ID in the Abandon Request will be
abandoned. If an operation is abandoned by the server, the response to
the abandoned operation is not sent.

I think the second sentence above implies that the server will honor all abandon requests, which we know is not true. How about this instead?

  There is no response to an AbandonRequest. Upon transmission
  of an AbandonRequest, a client may expect that the server will
  attempt to abandon the operation identified by the Message ID in
  the request. Servers do not send responses to operations that
  are successfully abandoned.

Abandon and Unbind operations cannot be abandoned. Servers may not
allow other operations to be abandoned (or immediately abandoned), in
particular update operations, or operations that have been chained.

I agree with Ron that the "may not" is less clear than other wording might be. I also think the examples provided of when a server might ignore or delay processing of AbandonRequests should be clearly labeled as examples. Here is my suggestion:

  Abandon and Unbind operations cannot be abandoned. Also,
  at its discretion, a server may ignore or delay processing
  of AbandonRequests that target operations that it is unable
  or unwilling to abandon. For example, some servers may
  ignore requests to abandon update operations and some may
  delay honoring AbandonRquests that target chained operations.

--
Mark Smith
AOL Strategic Business Solutions