RE: Abandon Modify

Thanks, Kurt.

If LDAP doesn't have an 'abandoned' result code, then surely it needs one
because, correct me if I'm worong, update operations are confirmed. Or are
you saying they are sometimes confirmed.

In X.500, of course, they are always confirmed. Always, here, meaning
ALWAYS. This is enforced by ROSE.

I can't see why the abandon ID cannot be reused. I see this as valid:

o search, id = 1
o search, id = 2
o search, id = 3
o abandon target = 1, id = 4
o abandon target = 2, id = 4
o abandon target = 3, id = 4

The reason I see it as valid is that the operation is not confirmed, so the
client cannot retain the reference. Therefore, as a protocol (and not an
API), the server cannot assume the client has maintained a reference. Also,
I don't see why the server needs a reference - it should simply mark the
context of the ooperation as 'abandoned'. It's not as if the server is going
to have to pass the reference back.

I would like to hear what you have to say about uodate operations not being
confirmed in LDAP. It seems like a BIG statement.

Ron.