Re: [Kurt@OpenLDAP.org: Re: [fotis@xos.nl: bug/typo in RFC2256?]]

At 07:13 AM 2002-07-04, Fotis Georgatos wrote:

>At 03:54 AM 2002-07-04, Fotis Georgatos wrote:
>>This is only FYI.
>>
>>I have the impression that some LDAP implementations can get confused
>>and "hide" data within the double-defined preferredDeliveryMethod attribute.

No implementor has reported a problem caused by the multiple
inclusion of same attribute in a MUST or MAY list, such as
those occurring in RFC 2256.

The multiple listing found in RFC 2256 likely resulted
during conversion from X.500 attribute sets to the
expanded list of attribute types.

Personally, I think the definitions should not be altered as
I believe that implementations should be (and are) ignoring
the redundant listing.  I suggest a clarification be made in
[models] which states that if an attribute description is
provided multiple times in a list, it is treated as if it were
provided once.  That is,
        ( 1.1.1 MUST ( CN $ CN ) )

is equivalent to:
        ( 1.1.1 MUST CN )

and represents an object class requiring the CN (commonName)
attribute.

Kurt