Re: Unicode string profiles for LDAP

At 11:27 PM 2002-05-13, David Chadwick wrote:
>> Unassigned characters:  The output cannot contain any unassigned
>> characters.  Hence, an assertion involving any unassigned character
>> will be Undefined.
>if the matching rule is an approximate match, then it should be a local
>matter as to whether the assertion value matches true, false or
>undefined.

Yes, one could take the view that a string profile for
approximate matching should be implementation specific.

However, one could view the X.520 specifications as acting
upon some abstract character set.  What we are defining is
how code points of the Universal Character Set (UCS) relate
to this abstract character set.  That is, it can be argued
that there two levels of semantics and that approximate rule
semantics upon the abstract character set are implementation
specific but that the string profile isn't.  This can be
viewed as an additional constraint upon implementation
specific matching rules.

Kurt