RE: ;binary design teams

>>> Christopher Oliva <Chris.Oliva@entrust.com> 04/23/02 12:29PM >>>
>
>AFAIK, Team B has not indicated that the native encoding
automatically
>becomes the binary encoding when the native encoding is otherwise not
>specified. The key difference with certificates is that RFC 2252
mandates
>that the binary encoding should be used to transfer certificate
values. The
>key question is if a syntax definition clearly states a specific
encoding
>must be used, does this also mean that the corresponding ";option"
must be
>used to request (and reply with) that encoding? An attribute syntax
>definition that does not mandate a specific transfer encoding does not
fall
>into that category.

If the syntax definition says that a value of this syntax is
transmitted as an xyz-encoded value, then the xyz encoding *is* the
LDAP-specific encoding. In this case, it would not be specified as
attr;xyz. If on the other hand, the definition says that the values are
transmitted as xyz-encoded values, and that an xyz attribute option is
used to signify this, then no LDAP-specific encoding exists. In this
second case, I prefer to require that ;xyz accompanies the attribute
type, and that one cannot send attr without a transfer encoding option
(unless an LDAP-specific encoding is defined).

I try to think of the lack of any transfer option as implying a
transfer option called "LDAP-specific".

>I suppose a second issue is this: can a native encoding be the ASN.1
BER
>encoding and therefore not require the use of the ";binary" option ?
>Personally, I think it can.

Yes. As long as the syntax definition states that the value is to be
transferred that way, and doesn't mandate that ;binary be used.

>A third issue you have brought up is this: since you can define new
native
>encodings where an RFC previously did not define a native encoding for
>syntax, why can't this new native encoding be defined as a BER
encoding of
>the abstract ASN.1 syntax?

It can. I think however, that something needs to be said about the
server advertising its capabilities. In other words, if syntax ABC is
defined with no LDAP-specific encoding, then at a later point, an
LDAP-specific encoding is defined for it, that a supportedFeature OID be
defined at the same time so that a client can know what the server is
capable of. In lieu of using supportedFeature, we may want to talk about
a more specialized way of advertising server support for different types
of attribute options (including the implied ;LDAP-specific option). I'm
not sure if this falls under LDAPBIS or not (it certainly has come up in
the past as an interoperability problem).

Jim