Re: ;binary Concensus?

Kurt

I think this is a very good way forward. In particular it is very
important that use of ;binary is clarified in the protocol document. In
a previous message (4 April to Mark) I mentioned 8 cases that need to
clearly covered in the protocol document.

I would like to volunteer to work in either or both of the teams and
leave it up to you to decide in which team or teams I should contribute.

David

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 04:40 PM 2002-04-10, David Chadwick wrote:
> >There has been a lot of discussions on the use of ;binary, and clearly
> >two opposing view points. One camp think its use is unnecessary, the
> >other think it should be mandatory.
>
> While I would not myself describe the "camps" in this manner,
> I do agree there is contention and that "camps" appear to be
> forming.
>
> >I dont know how rough concensus is measured by the IETF
>
> It's up to the chair(s) to gauge consensus.  At this point,
> I gauge the LDAPbis WG has not having consensus in regards
> to either the general specification of ;binary in
> draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-xx.txt nor with the specific use
> of ;binary in draft-ietf-pkix-ldap-schema-02.txt.
>
> My current approach for addressing this contention was to see
> if the WG can reach consensus regarding the ;binary
> specification language of draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-xx.txt
> and then draft-ietf-pkix-ldap-schema-02.txt to be specified
> in a manner consistent with draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-xx.txt.
> It is, of course, important that the language used to clarify
> draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-xx.txt preserve the demonstrated
> interoperability for LDAPv3 certificate access.
>
> What I would like to see is the those in each camp, operating
> as a design camp, offer text which provides a clear and concise
> specification of ;binary,  e.g. replacement text for Section
> 4.1.5 of draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt, for the WG to
> consider.
>
> Design Team A will offer replacement text consistent with the
> position that ;binary must be used to indicate the transfer
> of binary encoded values.
>
> Design Team B will offer replacement text consistent with the
> position that the use of ;binary is not necessary to indicate
> the transfer of binary encoded values.
>
> These teams are expected small (2-4 persons) and to be short
> lived (2-4 weeks).
>
> Those who wish to participate in this work should contact
> Bob and I.  Please note which team you would like to be on.
>  From the set of volunteers, Bob and I will appoint a team lead
> who will edit the text produced by the team.  If the number of
> volunteers is too many for the design team to be effective,
> Bob and I (with advice from the team lead) will select which
> volunteers will serve on the team.  The membership of each
> list will be posted as soon as that determination has been
> made.
>
> Kurt

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk
Understanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5

begin:vcard
n:Chadwick;David
tel;cell:+44 77 96 44 7184
tel;fax:+44 1484 532930
tel;home:+44 1484 352238
tel;work:+44 161 295 5351
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
org:University of Salford;IS Institute
version:2.1
email;internet:d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
title:Professor of Information Security
adr;quoted-printable:;;The Crescent=0D=0A;Salford;Greater Manchester;M5 4WT;England
note;quoted-printable:Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk.......................=0D=0A=0D=0AUnderstanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm .......................=0D=0A=0D=0AX.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm...................=0D=0A=0D=0AEntrust key validation string: CJ94-LKWD-BSXB ...........=0D=0A=0D=0APGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5
x-mozilla-cpt:;-4856
fn:David Chadwick
end:vcard