RE: ;binary Concensus?

Kurt,

I am starting to find myself in the third camp. This would involve removing
references to binary from teh core documents and creating an
(informational?) I-D to describe the ;binary optiion.

The effect on *-protocol-* (RFC 2251) would be to explain that
o Not all syntaxes have a displayable form and clients should use special
processing with attributes they don't recognise.

The ;binary I-D would explain that
o In the case where syntaxes allow an ASN.1 encoding, this encoding may be
requested with the ;binary transfer option;
o Servers need not support the ;binary option and should return an (unknown
attribute?) error if a client uses the option in a request and its use with
the attribute is not supported;
o If the server supports the option, and a client request specifies the
option on an attribute, the corresponding attribute in the response must
have the ;binary option and must be encoded in the ASN.1 encoding specified
for the syntax of the attribute;
o In the case a client requests the return of all attributes, a server
should not attach ;binary to any attributes returned - this may affect the
encoding choice for the attribute;
o If a client requests ;binary for an attribute that does not have an ASN.1
encoding defined, a server may generate a default ASN.1 encoding, ie wrap
the value as an octet string (deprecated - only included for compatibility
with RFC 2251).

Put me in Team C!

Ron.