From: Peter Bachman [mailto:peterb@cequs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 5:58
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: AW: LDAP Certificate transfer syntax

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> At 10:44 AM 2002-04-09, Fantou Patrick wrote:
>
>>I am not sure this discussion really brings us further.
>

> I think this discussion is bringing us further along.  It has,
> at least, boiled down this particular debate to one issue:
>    whether or not ;binary is required when the binary
>    encoding of a value is transferred in the protocol.

Nicely put.

Perhaps there is a scoping problem with the requirements, and ;binary is
either a good candidate to act as a proxy for those more general
transfer requirements, or is a special use case which can't be neatly
generalized to the other issues in the state machine, and thus could be
disposed with in a specific fashion.

This would relate to Fantou's comment that there is "no choice with
attributes like certificates", which to me would indicate that decision
to encode in a particular way has dependencies outside the scope of the
protocol, one of which is accepted practice.

If the following snnipet from RFC 2251 is true, then the core
requirement or value behind ;options is not to facilitate
interoperability, but to allow for flexibility, where agreement may not
be forthcoming, with the understanding that community of "conforming"
participants may need to negotiate for their own compatibility.

 > Any option could be associated with any AttributeType, although not
 >    all combinations may be supported by a server.

This of course adds to potential network overhead for negotiation by the
implementors. If something breaks, which I remember happening with PPP
and C023, the recourse is to go back to the state machine, and see what
required message was not sent or replied to. But as Kurt said, is it
required? There is a brokenness that comes from failing to ack, a
brokeness that comes from making a requirement that does not belong, but
a brokeness that comes from not implementing to an actual valid
requirement is a change management issue.

If the client can probe the server with * and get back the actual
supported AttributeTypes, why can't it decide what to do? What am
I missing here? A defined "example" for an "option" would have to get
some legs to be a requirement.

-pb