Re: alias entries in LDAP

At 10:41 AM 2002-03-06, David Chadwick wrote:
>I dont know what problem you have in retaining aliases.

The problem is that alias entries, like subentries and knowledge
information, are under specified in LDAP.  While ASID provided
schema for each, ASID basically left these as areas of future
standardization.  ASID, LDAPext, and individuals have pursued
such standardization.  I-Ds were submitted in each of these
areas.  For whatever reason, the alias I-D was never progressed.

This group is not chartered to specify anything which was
the existing technical specification left to future
standardization.  Such would be considered "new features".

>I think it would
>be retrograde to remove them, as support for them is fully worked out in
>the LDAP model and the protocol.

Actually, there are numerous issues which need to be addressed
in the LDAP model.

We cannot revisit these issues in this WG, we must do as
ASID did and leave these areas (aliases, subentries, and
knowledge information) to future standardization.