From: Steven Legg [mailto:steven.legg@adacel.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 March 2002 12:27
To: 'Jim Sermersheim'
Cc: IETF-LDAPbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: Teletex Terminal Identifierindraft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-01

Jim,

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
> Perhaps I'm confused.
>
> When Steven used the term "hexadecimal string", I assumed he meant:
>
> hexstring = *hexchar
> hexchar = %x30-39 / %x41-46 / %x61-66

That's what I meant.

> Which is different from:
>
> octetstring = *OCTET
> OCTET = %x00-FF
>
> By using a hexadecimal string, we wouldn't have to deal with escaping
> the '$' character, as it is outside the range of hexstring values.
>
> I like the idea, but unfortunately, I believe there are existing
> implementations that encode octetstring as you have
> prescribed, thus not
> allowing us to re-define it as hexstring.

Do these existing implementations actually pull apart the values
and do something interesting with the ttx-params ? I would expect
that LDAP only servers just store and return the bytes they're given.
So unless there are LDAP clients that try to interpret the values,
whether the ttx-params are raw octets or hexadecimal is only really
an issue for X.500 servers that need to translate between the native
encoding and the BER encoding.

Regards,
Steven