RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt

Steven,

Agreed.

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681

                      "Steven Legg"
                      <steven.legg@adacel.        To:       Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS, <ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org>
                      com.au>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt
                      owner-ietf-ldapbis@O
                      penLDAP.org

                      03/03/2002 06:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      steven.legg

Tim,

Timothy Hahn wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> In reading this, the thought occurs to me that we might be better off
> listing "in which operations" the effects of the "binary"
> option rather
> than against which ASN.1 construct.  The ASN.1 constructs
> from the protocol
> have a habit of showing up in other places later on ... and carrying
> forward the semantics of "binary" interpretation might not make sense
> there.
>
> I would rather see statements such as: when "binary" shows up in
> "AttributeDescriptionList" on a "search" operation, it means ....

Better still if we say: when a transfer option (e.g. "binary")
shows up in "AttributeDescription" ...

Regards,
Steven