Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-fleming-ldap-printer-schema-01.txt(fwd)

Not being sure which list to send any comments to, I chose the cheap way
out with reply to all the original message was sent to.

Reading the proposed schema brings the following issues to my mind (in
order of importance):

1)Several of the attribute definitions have upper limits (I know that
the LDAP standard says these are suggestions, but I know of at least one
implementation that treats them as hard upper limits), and I question
first of all why even have suggested upper limits.  Some of these
attributes contain specific values, and thus would probably be OK with
the limits, but others, e.g. printer-info, contain arbitrary data, and
that should not be set to such a low limit as 127.

2) All the names seem to go against standard ldap convention.  All are
of the form printer-word1-word2-word3.  Convention in the ldap world
would have the names be printerWord1Word2Word3 instead, without the '-'
character.

3) Section 4.24 printer-resolution-supported.  This defines a multi
part field which is delimited with the '>' character.  Typically, LDAP
delimits fields with a '$' character.  I would thing this attribute
either a) deserves its own syntax (not my first choice), b) should be
specified in three attributes rather than one, or c) should use a more
standard delimiter.  That said, any delimiter is legal here, so if there
is good reason for the '>' delimiter, it could be used.  Also, is the
final delimiter necessary?

Mark Hinckley

>>> Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com> 02/20/02 10:54AM >>>
Can some of you have a look at these and let me know what you think?

  paf