From: Phil Griffin [mailto:phil.griffin@asn-1.com]
Sent: Monday, 25 February 2002 16:56
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: ;binary

Ron,

You can likely achieve the LDAP string encoding and
the other representation that you show below by style
sheet processing of an XER encoding. Many such textual
representations are possible. But you are correct, for
the ASN.1 XML Encoding Rules the encoding will be XML
1.0 markup.

And this markup is human-readable, though not as readable
as plain text. But it can be easily transformed into other
textual formats in a standard way, using readily available
tools. And this XML markup representation does exist for
each and every ASN.1 value, regardless of whether or not
an alternative LDAP defined encoding exists.

For example, there is an XER representation of ASN.1 type
Certificate that is human-readable. This representation
will be defined in the X9.96 XML Cryptographic Message
Syntax NWI just approved last week by X9. It carries
X.509 certificates in one of the saddle bags of type
SignedData.

In X9.96, the messages defined in X9.73 CMS (the ANSI X9
version of IETF S/MIME and RSA PKCS #7) will be specified
using the ASN.1 from that standard, in a canonical XML
variant of XER (CXER), so that the resulting XML messages
can be cryptographically enhanced. I spoke on this subject
at the RSA conference last week (http://ASN-1.com/cxer.zip).

Phil

"Ramsay, Ron" wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I would think that this wouldn't encode an address as "1 First Avanue,
> Downtown" (human readable) or "1 FirstAvanue$Downtown" (LDAP) but as
>
> <street-address><item>1 First
>
> ?
>
> Ron.

OID