From: Phil Griffin [mailto:phil.griffin@asn-1.com]
Sent: Monday, 25 February 2002 14:42
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: ;binary

The possibility of defining a human-readable
format for binary ASN.1 values in the future
is here, right now. Done already - or at least
very near final approval.

It's called the 2002 edition of ISO/IEC 8824-1 |
ITU-T Recommendation X.680, and it defines an XML
markup representation for every value of every ASN.1
type. Interestingly, it defines a dotted format,
borrowed from LDAP, for values of type OBJECT
IDENTIFIER.

And there's XML Encoding Rules (XER), defined in
ISO/IEC 8825-3 | ITU-T Recommendation X.693. These
encodings carry the exact same abstract values as
defined in the ASN.1 standards, but in a human-
readable textual format.

Having XER allows you to easily switch back and
forth between binary and textual representations
of the exact same values.

Phil