RE: ;binary

Ron,

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
> I think you have stepped over the edge with this proposal.
> After Kurt was so
> careful to explain that we must use the ASN.1 implied by the
> attribute OID
> with reference to the X.500 documents!

I said nothing that changes the interpretation of ";binary".
My statements are completely consistent with Kurt's explanation.
I was pointing out a reason for leaving the native LDAP encoding
as undefined, rather than specifying it to be the same as the
";binary" encoding.

> What about aci;encoding=novel;. Would this be a subtype?

The LDAPbis working group has already reached consensus that there
are at least two categories of attribute options: subtyping options
and transfer encoding options. "aci;encoding=novel" would be
considered a subtype if and only if "encoding=novel" were defined to
be a subtyping option.

BTW, '=' is not a legal character for an attribute option.

Regards,
Steven