Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt

Jim

I think the new text for attribute descriptions is very good. Much
better than before, especially the description of subtyping. However,
the subsection on Binary Option (4.1.5.1) could still do with some
improvement I feel. Firstly, the section is not as clear as recent email
we have had on the list, explaining that the attribute value, whatever
it is, is treated (or turned into) as an octet string containing BER,
and then a TL octet wrapper is placed around it.

Secondly, the section talks about overriding the native encoding and
sending it as BER instead. But then your example uses certificates, that
are native BER encoded. So what overriding is there to take place. It
would seem like none, and therefore the effect of ;binary is null. In
other words the section does not clearly indicate to me what the
difference would be in transferring a certificate without ;binary and
one with i.e. certificate;binary.  This is unfortunate and confusing to
the reader. I suggest you use an example that is not a certificate, but
is a simple string. You might then also add text to say what the effect
of ;binary is on a value that is already BER encoded.

I find this sentence particular confusing

"Instead the attribute is to be transferred as
   a binary value encoded using the Basic Encoding Rules [X.690]."

The reason it is confusing is that all values in BER are binary. So if
the value is already BER what more needs to be done to it? It would seem
nothing.

Perhaps the sentence might read better as

"Instead the attribute value is transferred as an ASN.1 OctetStringType,
where the embedded octet string value is itself a BER encoded value"

The second sentence
"The
   syntax of the binary value is an ASN.1 data type definition, which is
   referenced by the "SYNTAX" part of the attribute type definition."

also has some errors in it, and could then be changed to

"The syntax of the BER encoded value is an ASN.1 data type, which
must conform to the "SYNTAX" part of the AttributeTypeDescription."

Is that any better?

David

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> All,
>
> This revision contains the changes recommended by the attribute options
> engineering team. Please review section 4.1.5 carefully.
>
> Other changes are listed in section B.7
>
> Jim

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of
> the IETF.
>
>         Title           : Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3)
>         Author(s)       : J. Sermersheim
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt
>         Pages           : 56
>         Date            : 30-Jan-02
>
> The protocol described in this document is designed to provide access
> to directories supporting the [X.500] models, while not incurring the
> resource requirements of the X.500 Directory Access Protocol (DAP).
> This protocol is specifically targeted at management applications and
> browser applications that provide read/write interactive access to
> directories. When used with a directory supporting the X.500
> protocols, it is intended to be a complement to the X.500 DAP.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt
>
> To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
> ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
> message.
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
> username
> "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
> type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt".
>
> A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>
> Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
> Send a message to:
>         mailserv@ietf.org.
> In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt".
>
> NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
> readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation
> on
>         how to manipulate these messages.

> Internet-Draft.

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk
Understanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5

begin:vcard
n:Chadwick;David
tel;cell:+44 77 96 44 7184
tel;fax:+44 1484 532930
tel;home:+44 1484 352238
tel;work:+44 161 295 5351
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
org:University of Salford;IS Institute
version:2.1
email;internet:d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
title:Professor of Information Security
adr;quoted-printable:;;The Crescent=0D=0A;Salford;Greater Manchester;M5 4WT;England
note;quoted-printable:Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk.......................=0D=0A=0D=0AUnderstanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm .......................=0D=0A=0D=0AX.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm...................=0D=0A=0D=0AEntrust key validation string: CJ94-LKWD-BSXB ...........=0D=0A=0D=0APGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5
x-mozilla-cpt:;-4856
fn:David Chadwick
end:vcard