RE: ;binary and userCertificate (Was: Private email ...)

Title: RE: ;binary and userCertificate (Was: Private email ...)

> Regarding 6.5, this is actually a feature of English, not of
> the spec. One
> may request an attribute or return an attribute (though not
> both at the same
> time) and in each case ;binary should (MUST) be used.

You cannot deny that the particular wording in 6.5 is clumsy and can be interpreted in different ways. A more clear wording should have been used.

It is possible, because of unclear english, to interpret this clause to mean that the MUST (strictly) applies only to the encoding and not the use of ;binary in both the request and response.

That is one possible interpretation. I will suggest another in a following email.

Chris.