Re: ;binary and userCertificate (Was: Private email ...)

"Ramsay, Ron" wrote (in part):

> Kurt,
>
> Comments inline - see [RR].
>
> Ron.

<snip>

SYNTAX is an ASN.1 keyword but it is not a type
name or an object or a class. It is part of the
notation provided as part of an information
object class definition and is used to describe
objects of a given class.

For example, in X.509 the definition of the
EXTENSION class provides a useful notation
so that users can define specific extension
objects

   EXTENSION ::= CLASS {
      &id   OBJECT IDENTIFIER UNIQUE,
      &ExtnType
   }
   WITH SYNTAX {
      SYNTAX        &ExtnType
      IDENTIFIED BY &id
   }

the notation "SYNTAX &ExtnType IDENTIFIED BY &id"
indicates that the EXTENSION class field "&ExtnType"
is an open type, which can be any ASN.1 type. &id
is the value of an OID and the UNIQUE modifier
states that each OID in an information object
set of class EXTENSION must be unique in that
context.

Generally, information objects are placed in sets
and used to bind the valid values in two or more
components of a sequence, so that (for example)
when the OID id-ce-authorityKeyIdentifier appears
in one component of a sequence, a value of type
AuthorityKeyIdentifier is the only valid value
allowed in an associated component.

This is really ANY DEFINED BY corrected and made
to be of actual use by ASN.1 tools in enforcing a
given schema (specification). This notation is not
defined in the superseded X.208 standard, but is a
part of the current ASN.1 standards available for
free on the web at
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/index.html
and in the draft version of the 2002 edition at
Host: ftp://ties.itu.int login: asn1 password: notation1

So, SYNTAX is ASN.1, but it's probably correct to
say it's not treated as actual ASN.1 in the context
of LDAP.

Phil Griffin