RE: Two-digit year

Kathy,

> The UTC Time syntax has only two digits representing the year.  In
> anticipation of 2000, a convention for interpretation of
> two-digit year
> values was developed.  It should be referenced in RFC
> 2252bis, but where
> is it specified?  Is LDAP referring to X.500 for this?

This convention is described in the X.520, 4th edition description of
uTCTimeOrderingMatch. It isn't in the 2nd edition of X.520, which is
the edition we are referencing for ldapbis.

The solution is to duplicate or paraphrase the text in X.520:4th edition,
which is:

  "UTC times with year values 50 to 99 shall be taken to represent times
  that are earlier than UTC times with year values 00 to 49.

  The value of the two-digit year field shall be rationalized into a
  four-digit year value as follows:

  - if the 2-digit value is 00 through 49 inclusive, the value shall
  have 2000 added to it; and

  - if the 2-digit value is 50 through 99 inclusive, the value shall
  have 1900 added to it."

Regards,
Steven