Re: Identity and TLS sessions

Gary Anderson wrote:

> I suspect that the choice of anonymous identity upon closure of the TLS
> session was simply one of convenience.  I think that the actual
> operation should more closely resemble 2 or 4 in the above list.
>
> Can someone provide insight on why the current RFC specifies returning
> to the anonymous identity?

Because a server may have based the identity decision on the TLS or SSL
negotiation, e.g. if the client has used certificate-based
authentication and then Binds with mechanism EXTERNAL.  The LDAP Bind
operation does not stack credentials.

> In light of the above, I would like to propose the following change to
> 5.5.2 of the Authentication Methods draft:
>
> Old Text:
>    Closure of the TLS connection MUST cause the LDAP association to
>    move to an anonymous authentication and authorization state
>    regardless of the state established over TLS and regardless of the
>    authentication and authorization state prior to TLS connection
>    establishment.
>
> New Text:
>   Upon closure of the TLS connection, the server MAY leave the LDAP
>   association with any previously established authentication and
>   authorization identities, or it MAY move the LDAP association to
>   an anonymous authentication and authorization state.  The
>   authentication and authorization identities for the LDAP association
>   will depend on server authentication and association identity
> policy.

Changes between a Proposed and Draft standard should be based on resolving
interoperability problems.  I don't see an interoperability problem in the
current RFCs or that this change would improve interoperability between
clients which have implemented the existing RFCs.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.