RE: Binary Syntax

Kurt,

You can try and argue that jpegPhoto is a constrained octet string, but this
would be an ellipsis for:

. syntax is octet string
. string representation is the jpeg binary data
. the string representation is always used.

I personally do not believe a binary blob can be called a string
representation, though.

As regards binary, it certainly isn't an octet string. I believe its
definition is ANY. In this it is similar to certificates. When sending a
certificate, you send only the encoding of the certificate, you do not send
an octet string wrapper (leaving aside the manner in which it is encoded in
protocol, which you must do or else you have to admit that octet strings are
doubly wrapped when sent with ;binary).

The truth is that a jpeg will be wrapped in an octet string if ;binary is
used, simply because RFC 2251 says it will. Compare this with certificate
where there is no octet string wrapper, even though ;binary is used.

It is a pity that those who thought to redefine 'binary' to be octet string
didn't simply use octet string!

Ron.