Re: limits (Was: IETF ldapbis WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ldapbis-iana-04.txt)

At 10:07 AM 2001-11-30, Ryan Moats wrote:
>Because I've seen far too many cases where what was originally thought
>to be "enough space" ran out.

But these aren't limits.  They don't cause us to "run out" of anything.

>While, I don't see how 48 characters
>arises from the I-D guidelines, I'm willing to let other's in the WG
>give their opinion (realizing that silence is assent).  However,
>16 strikes me as too short.  If I look at DNS, a comparible limit there
>is 32, so why not that?

In DNS, it is a LIMIT.  In this BCP, this is not a limit, it's
a guideline.

>Given the history of DNS, I would then agree that
>there would be "plenty of space".

Again, the statement doesn't reduce the amount of name space
available.  It only suggests that folks use short names over
long names.