Question on Your Comment

Hi Steve!

In your comments on RFC 2252bis, I do not understand the last one in
section 2.1:

> >    Servers are not required to provide the same or any text in the
> >    description part of the subschema values they maintain.
>
> The same should apply to the NAME and OBSOLETE fields of all the subschema
> operational attribute values. In X.500, the information which is required
> to be invariant with respect to an associated object identifier is that
> which is given in the ATTRIBUTE, MATCHING-RULE, OBJECT-CLASS and NAME-FORM
> information objects. These information objects map into subcomponents of
> the AttributeTypeDescription, MatchingRuleDescription,
> ObjectClassDescription,
> and NameFormDescription ASN.1 types (respectively) with the component
> identifier "information". The components of the above ASN.1 types
> corresponding to the NAME, DESC and OBSOLETE fields in the LDAP
> representation are all outside the "information" component (it just isn't
> evident from the BNF).

The problem is that the OBSOLETE field does not have any text.  What
have I missed?  I'm concerned, too, about extending the statement to the
NAME field in the AttributeTypeDescription.  I don't think the server
can change the name value arbitrarily because of the necessity for the
client to use the name in order to know which attribute is present.

Regards,
Kathy Dally