Re: New LDAP Syntaxes Please

At 07:01 AM 2001-09-07, David Chadwick wrote:
>The purpose of moving to draft from proposed standard is to fix bugs and
>omissions.

Fixing the certificate schema within the core specification
is quite problematic.  In particular, it would require the
specification to referencing multiple revisions of X.509
and other specifications in a clear manner.  We'd also
have to add schema not presently in the "core" and
introduce new LDAP syntaxes.   As we have previously agreed
not to add new features, including any additional schema which
wasn't defined in "core" specification,  I believe it clear
that we must remove the broken feature (X.509 certificate
schema).

Based upon previous discussions, I assume Kathy will remove
the broken feature in her next edit.

>> I note that 2252bis will need to note that X.509
>> schema was removed from the document.  This note
>> should contain a non-normative reference to the
>> document containing the updated schema.
>>

>If we do that then we should remove all the public key certificate
>material from all the LDAPv3 documents.

 From the "core" specification, YES!  Public key schema
should be detailed in a separate document(s) which can:

1) reference X.509(97) or later
2) add equality matching rules purposely left off
   in the "core" specification
3) add extensible matching rules
4) introduce necessary new LDAP syntaxes

>> We probably should arrange for an
>> OID under the IETF directory OID (1.3.6.1.1) for this
>> document.
>
>This is also OK but who manages this arc?

IANA manages this under default procedures. I think you can
just send mail to iana@iana.org requesting an OID under the
desired arc for use in your specification.  These procedures
will change when the "IANA Considerations for LDAP" BCP is
published.