RE: Refering to X.500 editions

Skip,

Thanks for the providing this additional information.

I continue to believe the "core" specification should
only reference the 2nd edition.  Referencing multiple
editions leads is quite confusing, especially from
within a single document.  I note that RFC2252 should
have had references to both 2nd and 3rd editions!

The only reason the "core" document refers to 3rd edition
at all is to support the updated certificate schema.  But
has been noted, the LDAP schema descriptions are missing
key matching rules, the encoding is not DER, and likely
need to be updated to 4th edition specifications.

Updating to the 3rd (or later) edition would be quite
problematic due to the introduction of new features which
are not supported in LDAP (such as changes to DNs and
other key elements).

Hence, my suggestion is:

1) remove the X.509 certificate schema elements
   from the "core" specification (and pursuing the
   redesign of this schema in PKIX or individual)

2) reference only the 2nd edition of X.500.

Comments?

Kurt