RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-iana-01.txt

At 09:59 AM 4/20/01, Ryan Moats wrote:
>>Non-coordinated OIDs do not even deserve a comment ;-)
>
>I assume you mean standard track RFCs.  other track RFCs should allow
>private OID spaces.

And private extensions can become Standard Track... so we need
to allow private OID spaces in Standard Track documents.  I think
this issue is better resolved not through registration procedures
but through expert/community review (and guidelines for extensions).
One needs to balance the desire to use a previously assigned OID
or a new IETF-assigned OID for a particular item upon IETF
publication (on any track).

I think operational experience has shown that the use of private
OIDs in Standard Track documents has not lead to interoperability
problems.   However, I think there is operational experience that
changing OIDs after initial specification has been implemented to
any significant degree does cause interoperability problems.

Kurt