From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Bruce Greenblatt
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 1:19 PM
To: 'ietf-ldapbis@openldap.org'
Subject: Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-iana-01.txt

At 09:10 AM 4/20/2001 -0700, Skovgaard, Erik wrote:

>Suggest adding some verbiage to REQUIRE the use of IANA registered OIDs in
>LDAP-related RFCs.  I have seen way too many private and non-coordinated
>OIDs in the past.  I think this practice should be discouraged since OIDs
>that are "owned" by a private organization is not guaranteed to be unique
>and the definition could be changed without proper review.

I strongly disagree.  OIDs allocated under the private enterprise branch
can only serve to expedite the standardization process.  Once the OID is
defined and used by the public in an RFC what possibly could be gained by
changing the OID to another value.  There are many OIDs that have been
allocated under the private enterprise branch in the past that are now
widely used.  Keep the language in the draft intact.  It is good the way
that it is.

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com