Re: implementation quiz: ;binary

At 03:14 PM 4/13/01 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>Implementor: OpenLDAP
>Application: OpenLDAP slapd 2.0
>Application Class: [ ] client, [x] server
>
>Have you implemented ;binary transfer of attributes?

Not in a conformant manner.

>Is this support specific to particular syntaxes and/or attributes?
>If so, which syntaxes and attributes?

Specific to binary, certificate, certificate pair, certificate
list and a few other select syntaxes with complex ASN.1 data
type definitions.

>Do you support non-;binary transfer for any syntax and/or
>attribute which you support ;binary transfer for?

No.  We only support one transfer mode per syntax.

>Does your application ensure values it sends using ;binary are
>restricted to a valid BER encoding of the attribute's syntax?

No.

>Does your application treat non-BER encoded values received
>using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

No.

>Does your application treat BER encoding of values of incorrect
>[syntax] using ;binary as an error?  If so, what error?

No.

>Does your application expect values to be encoded using a
>subset of BER?  If so, which subset?

No.  Our implementation could careless of how the value was
actually encoded.

> Comments:

Our implementation treats attribute descriptions containing
;binary as if attribute description was of syntax octetString
and transferred normally.  That is, ;binary values are treated
as BLOBs within our implementation and hence our implementation
should not be viewed as being compliant.

Additional, no OpenLDAP client has specific support for ";binary".