Re: Comments on Access Control Model - authentication levels

I'm copying this to the LDAPBIS list since one of the comments in the
Ellen's new BNF points out something that may be of interest.  The
specification of "none" as an authorization level comes from X.501.

The X.501 4th edition draft says (section 18.4.2.3):

  For access control purposes, the "simple" authentication level
  requires a password; the case of identification only, with no
  password supplied, is considered "none".

This is relevant to the discussion we had in Minneapolis concerning
"anonymous" vs. "unauthorized".  It seems to give support to the idea
that they are NOT the same thing.

Rick Huber

: From stokes@austin.ibm.com Mon Apr  2 13:08:58 2001